Bread machines are a convenient kitchen appliance for making homemade bread. But what do you do when your bread machine doesn’t seem to be mixing the dough properly? In this article, we’ll give you some tips on how to fix a bread machine that’s not mixing dough.
Why Is My Bread Machine Not Mixing Dough?
If you’ve ever wondered why your bread machine isn’t mixing dough, you’re not alone. Many people have had this problem and have been able to find a solution. There are three main causes of malfunction:
- The motor in the bread machine is out of order. To recognize the problem is very simple, when you turn on the paddle at the bottom of the bucket does not rotate at all, and the unit does not make any noise, even the quietest. This means that there is no torque from the motor pulley to the agitator belt, and the system remains stationary.
- The dough bucket is not installed correctly. In this case, when you turn on the bread machine motor comes to work, but the paddle still does not rotate. If the bread mold is not properly placed in the housing, the mixer will not be able to rotate freely because of the design.
- The toothed belt has worn out or slipped from the pulley. This is the most common reason why the bread machine does not knead dough. The spatula at the bottom of the bucket rotates due to the transfer of rotation from the motor, and if there is a problem with the belt, it will not be able to move.
Tip! If the bread machine does not stir the dough, it also makes sense to make sure that the container is not filled too tightly. It is possible that the device is simply not designed for higher loads.
How to Fix a Bread Machine That Isn’t Mixing Dough?
If the bread machine does not knead the dough well, and it was possible to establish that the blade does not rotate or rotates badly when the motor is running, then when disassembling the machine it becomes apparent that the belt has completely or partially slipped off the pulley. Repair of the malfunction is simple:
- The pulley is cranked and the belt is pushed if it is still held on the wheel;
- the element is inspected for damage;
- in case of noticeable defects and wear, the old belt is discarded;
- If belt is satisfactory, put it back in place, checking quality of contact with pulley.
When the repair is complete, the big wheel is turned to make sure the belt is securely fastened. You can immediately turn the structure over and make sure that the blade on the other side of the bottom again turns quickly and steadily following the movement of the wheel.
After fixing the defective blade, it remains to reassemble the bread machine in the reverse order. The bottom is screwed to the base and carefully put in place the housing, not forgetting to connect the loop from the motor to the buttons. All screws are placed in the grooves inside the heating chamber and on the outside of the bottom of the unit, the device is returned to its working position and connected to the mains.
How to Disassemble a Bread Machine?
Since the construction of the bread machine is quite simple, it can be disassembled without any effort:
- The bread machine with a broken spatula is completely unplugged. Then remove the dough bucket, turn the device on its side and use a screwdriver to unscrew the screws located on the bottom.
- The bread machine is returned to its straight position and all the screws located at the bottom of the heating chamber of the device are unscrewed. It is also necessary to find and dismantle the fasteners on the side wall.
- The chamber and the case are gently pulled up, lifting from the bottom. This should be done slowly and carefully, consistently disconnecting the pads and plastic fasteners. When removing the cover, disconnect the small cable that runs from the control board to the external buttons.
- After the cover is removed, it remains to unscrew the bottom tray. On the back side it has a pulley with a tensioned belt that transmits the rotation of the paddle from the engine. If the paddle does not rotate, the problem is in the belt system.
Different brands of bread machines are similar to each other. All models have the paddle on the bottom, and the belt drive system is responsible for whether it rotates or not. But in the details of the construction of household appliances can differ. Therefore, before disassembling it is worthwhile to read the manual and other reference materials in addition.
Attention! In search of the reason why in the bread machine does not rotate the blade, it is necessary to remember the order of attachment of the elements of the unit. In this case, the device will be easier to assemble back.
Why the bread machine does not mix the dough well?
If the paddle at the bottom of the pail is spinning, but its movement is too weak, the problem is most often one of cause. The toothed belt on the pulley of the device has not slipped all the way, but it has come off. In this case, the torque is still transmitted to the paddle, but its force is not enough for good kneading. The baker works badly, the paddle barely turns, and the thicker the dough, the lower the quality of the processing.
What should I do if my bread machine doesn’t knead dough?
If the spatula in the bread machine does not spin, you need to make a simple repair, and to do it, the machine must be disassembled. Usually the problem can be repaired with your own hands without involving the service.
Should my bread machine start mixing straight away?
There’s no right or wrong answer to this question – it depends on what you’re looking for in your bread. If you want a more rustic loaf with a rougher texture, you can start the mixing process right away. If you’re looking for a smoother, more uniform loaf, you may want to let the dough rest for a bit before starting the mixing process.
How long does it take to mix dough in a bread machine?
It takes 15-30 minutes to mix dough in a bread machine.
What speed do you mix bread?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the speed at which you mix bread dough will depend on the type of bread you are making and the ingredients you are using. In general, however, you should mix bread dough until it is smooth and elastic, taking care not to overmix it.
What are the 4 stages of mixing bread dough?
The four stages of mixing bread dough are as follows:
- The dough is mixed until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- The dough is kneaded until it forms a smooth, elastic ball.
- The dough is allowed to rest and rise until it doubles in size.
- The dough is shaped into the desired form and baked.
Related Video: A Handy Bread Machine Troubleshooting Guide
The bread machine not mixing the dough can be a frustrating problem. However, it is often easily fixed by following the troubleshooting tips above. With a little time and patience, you can have your bread machine working like new again.
Leave a Reply